The Electric Propeller Company builds Marine Propulsion Drive Motors and Energy Systems for sailboats, yachts and tenders.
Electric Propulsion has been around for over 100 years. In the past decade, advances in permanent magnet motors and controllers have yielded higher efficiency with longer range and Electric Propulsion has become a viable alternative for propelling sailing vessels and tenders. The Electric Propeller Company continually strives for you to have the ultimate drive system for your boat so you can enjoy years of sailing.
Consider the Benefits of an Electroprop System by The Electric Propeller Company:
- Enjoy Maintenance Free operation for a decade or more.
- Each of our systems include either helical or planetary gears for higher efficiency and maintenance free operation.
- Installations are compact, logical and intuitive with major components mounted in insulated PVC boxes with clear front panels
- Drive Systems are built for the marine environment where space and weight are important considerations
- The Electric Propeller Company gives you inherent safety in all of our systems. Each of our drive systems uses components rated for the highest voltage and current experienced during charging and operation.
- The Electric Propeller Company is the only manufacturer providing a Battery Management System for Lead Acid Batteries. Why change a battery after 4 years when you can make it last 10 years? Each battery is individually monitored because battery packs are reliant on each individual battery for range.
- Pure Lead Batteries are the safest battery made today! Pure Lead Batteries operate at higher efficiency for longer range than standard AGM Batteries. Pure Lead Batteries are capable of operating for extended periods of time in Partial State of Charge which is frequent aboard boats on longer trips.
- Value is determined by how a system stands up over time. Each of our systems are designed to be a permanent solution to propulsion for your boat. You won’t need to change oil regularly, grease thrust bearings or do any maintenance. Each system has been built for the marine environment.
- Each of our systems has been rated for peak operating power and continuous power for hybrid operations.
- Electroprop Battery Management Systems are ready for the future with Programmable Chargers that can be adapted for future battery technology.
- Each Electroprop System includes expansion breakers for future energy sources. This allows you to grow your electric boat technology as new products arrive on the marketplace. Expansion capability keeps the future clean and safe.
Each system can be configured to your needs through our Build your System link. A lot of time, energy and thought has gone into building the Electroprop. By highlighting the various components that are necessary for a safe installation over time, customers can understand the safety, efficiency and power inherent in every Electroprop.
Each one of our systems includes two or three sealed plastic boxes with clear front covers which house all the breakers and relays. These boxes are mounted in strategic locations aboard the boat. Each one of our systems includes a consultation, which is best performed over a video connection, to find the optimum place the batteries, chargers and sealed distribution boxes. The customer then measures the distances between the various components and Electroprop cuts all wires to length. The entire system is then built on our bench to perfectly fit into your boat. All of the difficult work is done for you. We have thoroughly researched and tested every component aboard the boat and integrated all the components into the entire system. All of the wiring is accomplished with the proper wire sizes and fuse sizes for years of safe operation.
Electroprop systems can be installed in a fraction of the time that it would take to find compatible components, research the correct procedures for wiring and fuse protection, cut all the wires, swage the connectors and add the shrinkwrap.
Each Electroprop comes with a flexible coupling insert that provides a method for measuring accurate alignment. Each Electroprop comes with a flexible mounting system which we pre-configure before the drive system leaves our shop. This makes the drive system very simple to install with the highest precision of alignment.
With typical installation rates of professionals between $50 and $100 per hour, Electroprop Systems can save you thousands of dollars or many hours of your time figuring everything out. We also completely explain our systems so you understand your conversion.
Electroprop Systems are designed to have 10 years of maintenance free enjoyment. Just think of the thousands of dollars you will save from having a maintenance free drive system.
For the best Value in Marine Propulsion, choose Electroprop Drive and Energy Systems.
HELICAL DRIVE SYSTEMS
Electroprop Helical Drive systems are first in class for efficiency. Helical Systems are recommended for conversions replacing diesels under 30 h.p.
The Mariner is a modular, open frame, low profile system for powering boats up to 10,000 lbs. Mariners are compact and powerful machines that we have built for over 10 years. The Mariner has a permanent magnet AC motor with helical gearbox. We recommend the Mariner for sailing vessels up to 10,000 lbs.
The Sailor is built on the foundation of The Mariner. The Sailor has a fan pulling air out from near the motor, and ducting for bringing cool air into the drive unit. The Sailor has a permanent magnet AC motor with helical gearbox. The Sailor is recommended for vessels up to 12,000 lbs.
The Islander has one or two fans, one blowing cool air into the enclosure, and one expelling warm air out of the enclosure. The controller, contactor and wiring harness are installed in a plug and play package. The Islander has a permanent magnet AC motor coupled to a helical gearbox. The Islander is recommended for sailing vessels up to 15,000 lbs.
PLANETARY DRIVE SYSTEMS
Planetary Drive systems are smaller, lighter and more powerful and fit better into larger vessels or new sailboats. Planetary drive systems have 3 different gear ratios: 3, 4 and 5:1. Planetary drive systems are capable of running up to 6,000 rpm. Electroprop Planetary Drive systems run at up to 4,500 rpm. All Planetary Drive systems have wiring harness components mounted inside the DC distribution box.
The Racer is a very lightweight system for racers, and very compact system for boats with minimal space. Racer drives can be used to replace a V-Drive or Hydraulic Drive. The installer is responsible for mounting a fan or fans for providing cool air flow across the motor. A transverse beam is required for installation of the Racer in an electric boat. Racer Drive Systems are appropriate for vessels up to 17,000 lbs.
The Seafarer is an air cooled planetary drive system for sailboats up to 17,000 lbs. The Seafarer casing includes two fans that both push and pull air through the drive enclosure.
The Cruiser is air and water cooled. The Cruiser is both air and water cooled for high sustained loads found in a Cruising Sailboat. The Cruiser utilizes permanent magnet AC motor technology with planetary gears. The Cruiser is recommended for vessels up to 20,000 lbs.
The Voyager is both air and water cooled with planetary gears. The Voyager is recommended for vessels up to 42,000 lbs. Two of these drives could be utilized on a vessel larger than 42,000 lbs.
Our Fleet of Electroprop Conversions